Easy Translator is a plugin translation tool for authors and translators. (Not a blog page translator!)
Easy Translator is a plugin to translate other plugins. It picks up translatable strings (in
_[_e]() functions) and presents them and their existing translations (from the MO object of the current text-domain, if loaded) in a user editable form. It can generate a valid PO file that can be emailed to the plugin author. The Pro Version lets your translators email the PO file directly from the its window, streamlining their work. (Not a big deal really because you can always save the PO file and email it yourself. Still...)
If you are a plugin author interested in internationalizing your plugins, you may want to ask your potential translators to install Easy Translator to make it a snap to give you translations. If you want to clean up your internationalization, you will appreciate Easy Translator because it does a fuzzy string matching to highlight possible repetitions and conflicts among key strings.
Note that Easy Translator is not a blog page translator for a blogger. It is a tool for plugin authors and the kind international users who put in their time and effort to translate plugins. If you fall in that category, please it a go.
Proper session initialization.
- Upload the Easy Translator plugin (the whole easy-translator folder) to the '/wp-content/plugins/' directory.
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
- Go to the Tools -> Easy Translator to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Looks good, but doesn't work!
Easy Translator is a fairly complicated program, and it is in its infancy. If you find a bug or anything that doesn't work as expected, please do not keep it to youself. Please post it in the forum or email me. I really would like to make it work perfectly.
This plugin conflicts with other plugins. What to do now?
Easy Translator uses the PHP "super-global" variables (
$_SESSION) to hold various strings and settings between your visits so that your translation work is not accidentally erased. I hope to have implemented it safely. But as any developer will tell you, there is nothing safe about using globals. If you find anything amiss, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Please post it in the forum or email me.
The PO files created generate errors when I run
msgfmt on them. What are these errors?
The plugin has a known issue with quotation marks within strings. Some of the quotations marks don't get escaped with a backslash. I think this issue is locale-specific, and don't know how to solve it. If you have any ideas, please let me know. The workaround is to edit the generated PO files with a text editor and go to the lines that give you errors in
msgfmt. You will most likely find some unescaped quotes that you should prepend a backslash to. It should then go through
msgfmt without error. Another known problem is that in some locales, the
\n character in the first few lines appear as
n -- again in a locale-specific way.
- V2.23: Proper session initialization. [Mar 30, 2013]
- V2.22: Proper use of SESSION variables. [Feb 18, 2013]
- V2.21: Fixes in the plugin updater. [Oct 17, 2012]
- V2.20: Rolling out in-app version update. [Sep 30, 2012]
- V2.06: Taking care of some debug notices from WordPress debug mode. [Aug 28, 2012]
- V2.05: Minor changes to the admin page. [July 18, 2012]
- V2.04: Taking care of magic_quotes_gpc in PHP. [May 18, 2012]
- V2.02: Changing the php file search to recursive. [Mar 20, 2012]
- V2.01: Adding a new feature to create a new MO file (rather than just editing an existing one). [Mar 19, 2012]
- V2.00: Releasing a Lite and Pro version. [Mar 6, 2012]
- V1.01: Correcting a few minor bugs (a) Author email (of the plugin being translated was set to the author of this plugin. (b) The name of the plugin was set to Easy AdSense (Thanks, Sub!). (c) Some corrections are needed for escaping quotation marks and line breaks in locales other than English. Will include them in the next release. (Hard to test because my locale is en_US).
- V1.00: Initial release. [July 21, 2009]