Easy Chitika provides a streamlined interface to deploy Chitika ads on your blog. You can customize the colors and sizes of the ad blocks and activate them right from the plugin interface. If you don't have an Chitika account, sign up here.
Easy Chitika is part of the easy series of advertising plugins comprising of Google AdSense, Easy Ads and Easy Chitika. If you plan to use more than one ad provider, you will find it more convenient to install Easy Ads, a premium plugin that combines all of them in a neatly tabbed, streamlined interface.
Note that the easy series of advertising plugins require PHPv5.3+. If they don't work on your blog host, please consider the amazing Easy AdSense Pro for all your advertising needs. It can insert non-AdSense blocks as well.
- Tabbed and intuitive interface.
- Rich display and alignment options.
- Widgets for your sidebar.
- Robust codebase and option/object models.
- Control over the positioning and display of ad blocks in each post or page.
- Customized Chitika interface with color pickers.
Easy Chitika is the freely distributed version of a premium plugin. The Pro version gives you even more features.
- A filter to ensure that your ads show only on those pages that seem to comply with Easy Chitika (and other common provider) policies, which can be important since some comments may render your pages inconsistent with those policies.
- It also lets you specify a list of computers where your ads will not be shown, in order to prevent accidental clicks on your own ads -- one of the main reasons AdSense bans you.
- Also in the works for the Pro version is a compatibility mode, which solves the issue of the ad insertion messing up your page appearances when using some themes.
The Pro version costs $4.75 and can be purchased online with instant download link.
The easiest way to install this plugin is to use the WordPress Admin interface. Go to your admin dashboard, find the "Plugins" menu, and click on "Add New". Search for this plugin and click on "Install Now" and follow the WordPress instructions.
If you want to download it and manually install, you can again use the WordPress dashboard interface. First download the plugin zip file to your local computer. Then go to your admin dashboard, find the "Plugins" menu, and click on "Add New". After clicking on the "Add New" menu item as above, click on "Upload" (below the title "Install Plugins" near the top). Browse for your downloaded zip file, upload it and activate the plugin.
If you want to manually upload it using your ftp program, unzip the downloaded zip file and, 1. Upload the Easy Chitika plugin (the whole folder) to the '/wp-content/plugins/' directory. 2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress. 3. Go to the Settings -> Easy Chitika and enter your user ID and other options.
To install the professional version of the plugin, please deactivage the Lite version (if any) first. Then upload the zip file that you download after your purchase using the WordPress admin interface shown below.
The plugin is updated also by following the same process, preferably from the plugin Admin page where you will see a file-upload form when an update is ready. The first update for your purchased plugin is always free.
- V3.10: Compatibility with WP4.8. Sunset edition. [Aug 1, 2017]
- V3.00: Compatibility with WordPress 4.5. [May 12, 2015]
- V2.90: Deprecating translation interface in favor of Google translation. [Feb 23, 2016]
- V2.80: Compatibility with WordPress 4.4. [Dec 5, 2015]
- V2.73: Refactoring changes. [Nov 7, 2015]
- V2.72: Enhancements in the admin interface. [Oct 17, 2015]
- V2.71: Documentation changes. [Sep 13, 2015]
- V2.70: Major changes to fix HTML5 validation errors. [Sep 10, 2015]
- V2.60: Compatibility with WordPress 4.3. [Aug 10, 2015]
- V2.50: Compatibility with WordPress 4.2. [April 25, 2015]
- V2.40: Refactoring and documentation changes. [Apr 2, 2015]
- V2.20: Automatic options migration upon plugin activation. [Sep 26, 2014]
- V2.11: Minor change to the admin interface. [Sep 9, 2011]
- V2.10: Compatibility with WP4.0. [Sep 7, 2014]
- V2.01: Updating translations, minor bug fixes. [Jul 17, 2014]
- V2.00: Initial public release. Internationalization and compatibility with WP3.9. [May 7, 2014]
- V1.22: Changes to the informational messages on the admin interface. [Oct 23, 2011]
- V1.21: Simplifying
defaults.php, coding improvements. [Oct 22, 2011]
- V1.20: Bug fixes, coding improvements. [Sep 9, 2011]
- V1.00: Initial release. [Nov 15, 2010]
Frequently Asked Questions
I get the error "Error locating or loading the defaults! Ensure 'defaults.php' exists, or reinstall the plugin." What to do?
Please copy all the files in the zip archive to your plugin directory. You need all the files in the
easy-ads directory. One of these files is the missing
I activate the plugin, but nothing happens. I see some red error message stating something about PHP version. What gives?
This plugin requires PHP version 5.3 or later. If it doesn't find the right version, it posts an error message in the plugins page, and does nothing. You will need to contact the system admin or support folks of your hosting service and request them to install PHP5.x for you. Usually, all it takes is just an email to get it sorted out.
Note that this plugin requires PHPv5.3+. If it does not work on your web host, please consider the amazing Easy AdSense Pro for all your advertising needs. It can insert non-AdSense blocks as well.
How can I control the appearance of the ad blocks using CSS?
<div>s that Easy Chitika creates have the class attribute
easy-ads. Furthermore, they have class attributes like
easy-ads-chitika-bottom etc., You can set the style for these classes in your theme
style.css to control their appearance.
Why does my code disappear when I switch to a new theme?
Easy Chitika stores the ad code and options in your database indexed by the theme name, so that if you set up the options for a particular theme, they persist even when you switch to another theme. If you ever switch back to an old theme, all your options will be reused without your worrying about it.
But this unfortunately means that you do have to set the code once whenever you switch to a new theme.
Can I control how the ad blocks are formatted in each page?
Yes! In Easy Chitika, you have more options [through custom fields] to control ad blocks in individual posts/pages. Add custom fields with keys like easy-chitika-top, easy-chitika-middle, easy-chitika-bottom and with values like left, right, center or no to have control how the ad blocks show up in each post or page. The value "no" suppresses all the ad blocks in the post or page for that provider.
How do I report a bug or ask a question?
If you have a question or comment about the Pro version, please do not use the forum hosted at WordPress.org, but contact the plugin author using our support portal.
Digital GoodsPlease visit our e-shop selling all sorts of digital goods -- Premium WordPress plugins, PHP packages, Mac Apps, eBooks etc. It runs on my own ezPayPal package, which you can purchase if you would like to start a similar e-commerce gateway. Do check it out!
See Also: Other plugins
If you like my plugin efforts, please leave a comment using your Facebook login below.
If you need help, please use our support portal instead.
[Proudly brought to you by EZ PayPal.]