Name: Theme Tweaker
Stable tag: 4.23
Author: WP Plus
Requires at least: 2.5
Tested up to: 3.9
Tags: theme, colors, admin, css, tweak
See Also: Other plugins
Theme Tweaker displays the existing colors from your current theme, and gives you a color picker to replace them. It also lets you change them in bulk, like invert all colors, use grey scale etc.
Furthermore, Theme Tweaker allows you to preview or activate your changes. Finally, you can save the modified stylesheet locally and upload it into your blog server to deploy your new color scheme.
Theme Tweaker will now generate a fully functional child theme for you! Using child themes, you leave your original (parent) theme untouched, so that it can be updated independently without losing your tweaks.
Cannot complete the tweaking in one sitting? No problem, Theme Tweaker lets you save your work and pick it up from here you leave off. Moreover, Theme Tweaker will remember your saved color schemes for any number of themes.
This release is the freely distributed, Lite version of Theme Twekaer. It is fully functional. But the Pro Version gives you more features and benefits. For instance,
- Ability to generate and download
style.cssfiles with your modified colors.
- Ability to create a child theme so that your changes can be applied even when the underlying theme is updated.
- Scanning for all the style files in your theme directory to find all possible color definitions.
And more. New features and bug fixes will first appear in the Pro version before being ported to this freely distributed Lite edition.
Note that Theme Tweaker may not work with some themes. Please verify its suitability using the Lite version before considering the Pro version.
- Upload the Theme Tweaker plugin (the whole theme-tweaker folder) to the '/wp-content/plugins/' directory.
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' page in WordPress.
- Go to the Appearance -> Theme Tweaker and start tweaking your theme colors!
- Or, use the "Settings" link in the Plugins page next to Theme Tweaker to reach the tweaking paradise.
To install the professional version of the plugin, please deactivage the Lite version (if any) first. Then upload the zip file that you download after your purchase using the WordPress admin interface shown below.
The plugin is updated also by following the same process, preferably from the plugin Admin page where you will see a file-upload form when an update is ready. The first update for your purchased plugin is always free.
- How to tweak your theme using Theme Tweaker. Click to View
- Theme Tweaker in action - using the TwentyTen theme. Before tweaking. Click to View
- Theme Tweaker in action - TwentyTen after tweaking to inverted colors. Click to View
- Theme Tweaker in action - TwentyTen with Random colors! Click to View
- V4.23: Compatibility with WordPress V3.9. [Apr 18, 2014]
- V4.22: Bug fix. [Apr 8, 2014]
- V4.21: Major coding and translation improvements. [Apr 8, 2014]
- V4.10: Internationalization. [Apr 4, 2013]
- V4.00: Adding a translation interface, and refactoring admin page functionality. [Mar 22, 2014]
- V3.60: Compatibility checks for WordPress V3.8. Minor changes on admin page. [Dec 20, 2013]
- V3.50: Compatibility with WP3.7. [Nov 7, 2013]
- V3.40: Compatibility with WP3.6. Improvements in help tooltips. [Aug 10, 2013]
- V3.31: Introducing internationalization using Google/Microsoft Translate Widgets. [May 17, 2013]
- V3.20: Correcting W3C markup validation errors on the admin page. [Apr 27, 2013]
- V3.13: Proper session initialization. [Mar 30, 2013]
- V3.12: Proper use of SESSION variables. [Feb 18, 2013]
- V3.11: Fixes in the plugin updater. [Oct 17, 2012]
- V3.10: Rolling out in-app version update. [Sep 30, 2012]
- V3.08: Taking care of some debug notices from WordPress debug mode. Minor bugfixes. [Aug 30, 2012]
- V3.06: Ensuring compatibility with WP3.4+. [July 18, 2012]
- V3.05: Modifying stri_replace function. [May 24, 2012]
- V3.04: Integration of ez-update module and affiliation. [May 16, 2012]
- V3.03: Introducing a key color for sepia effect. [Apr 21, 2012]
- V3.02: Making a Pro and Lite version for public release. [Nov 15, 2011]
- V3.01: Documentation and admin-page display changes. Non-critical. [Aug 30, 2011]
- V3.00: Fixed the Preview button. First commercial release. [July 28, 2011]
- V2.00: Verifying compatability up to WP3.2. Changes in the documentation. [June 22, 2011]
- V1.71: Fixing the problem of the theme stylesheet overwriting the tweaked colors. [August 14, 2009]
- V1.70: Changed stylesheet saving methods to something simpler and more elegant. [July 14, 2009]
- V1.62: New option to launch a preview window from the Theme Tweaker interface. [Apr 28, 2009]
- V1.61: Further improvements of the admin menu interface to make it XHTML transitional 1.0 valid (according to W2C). [Apr 19, 2009]
- V1.50: Option to suppress the credit link "Theme Tweaker by Unreal". [Apr 5, 2009]
- V1.43: Documentation and interface improvements only. [Feb 15, 2009]
- V1.42: Another good bug fix -- Theme Tweaker can now deal with url(image) specifications in the style.css file. [Feb 12, 2009]
- V1.41: A major bug fix -- Theme Tweaker now handles multi-line CSS blocks properly. [Feb 11, 2009]
- V1.40: Child theme generation. [Jan 30, 2009]
- V1.30: New bulk action -- Randomize Colors. [Jan 7, 2009]
- V1.23: Added title attribute on color patches. [Jan 1, 2009]
- V1.22: Added Sepia option. [Dec 26, 2008]
- V1.21: Easier link in the Plugins page, better documentation. [Dec 17, 2008]
- V1.20: Optimized the generated CSS to minimize its size. Tested with WordPress 2.7. [Dec 13, 2008]
- V1.12: Fixed the conflict between WordPress theme preview and theme-tweaker. Eliminated the limitation of button/background bitmaps being ignored. [Dec 8, 2008]
- V1.11: Fixed a stupid bug (forgot to remove test code, sorry).
- V1.10: Added the ability to save the tweaked color scheme to a stylesheet for uploading. Used WordPress stylesheets for better look and feel integration in the blog admin pages.
- V1.00: Initial release. [Dec 5, 2008]
Frequently Asked Questions
Great idea, but doesn't work with my theme. What gives?
This plugin works as follows: It first identifies the strings in the
style.css file of your theme that look like colors. It them presents them to you with an option to replace them using a color-picker. The replaced colors are dynamically inserted in the header of your pages as they are generated.
This scheme worked great when I first developed it. But now, more and more themes (especially the ones that offer you a color-picker) are using the same strategy to control the appearance of your pages. They keep the color definitions in places other than the
style.css file such as their
php files, and the database. Such schemes will foil the color tweaking strategy of this plugin.
WP-PlusThis and other plugins can be installed and managed seamlessly using WP-Plus -- the next generation of WordPress, developed for the professional blogger who demand professional plugins and themes. If you are a professional plugin developer or a blogger (one who hopes to make a living out of blogging or blog-related developement), do check it out!
If you like my plugin efforts, please leave a comment using your Facebook login below.
If you need help, please use our support portal instead.