Name: Easy Translator
Stable tag: 3.20
Author: WP Plus
Requires at least: 2.8
Tested up to: 3.7
Tags: plugins, internationalization, translation, translator, localization, i18n, l10n
See Also: Other plugins
Easy Translator is a plugin to translate other plugins as well as blog posts and pages. It provides a customizable widget to enable machine translation (from Google or Microsoft). For plugins, it picks up translatable strings (in
_[_e]() functions) and presents them and their existing translations (from the MO object of the current text-domain, if loaded) in a user editable form. It can generate a valid PO file that can be emailed to the plugin author.
The Pro Version adds machine translation help to seed your plugin translation efforts. That is, for each translatable string found, it will give you a translation as provided by Google, which you can edit and perfect. It also lets your translators email the PO file directly from the its window, streamlining their work. For the blog post translation widget, the Pro version lets you customize your colors using a color picker.
If you are a plugin author interested in internationalizing your plugins, you may want to ask your potential translators to install Easy Translator to make it a snap to give you translations. If you want to clean up your internationalization, you will appreciate Easy Translator because it does a fuzzy string matching to highlight possible repetitions and conflicts among key strings.
Note that Easy Translator is now a blog page translator for a blogger, although it was originally written as a tool for plugin authors and the kind international users who put in their time and effort to translate plugins.
- Upload the Easy Translator plugin (the whole easy-translator folder) to the '/wp-content/plugins/' directory.
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
- Go to the Tools -> Easy Translator to use it.
To install the professional version of the plugin, please deactivage the Lite version (if any) first. Then upload the zip file that you download after your purchase using the WordPress admin interface shown below.
The plugin is updated also by following the same process, preferably from the plugin Admin page where you will see a file-upload form when an update is ready. The first update for your purchased plugin is always free.
- How to launch Easy Translator - Where to find it? View
- How to use Easy Translator - The Editor View
- How to use Easy Translator - The POT File Viewer View
- V3.20: Compatibility with WP3.7. [Nov 7, 2013]
- V3.10: Compatibility with WP3.6. Some additional tooltips to help the user. Bug fix in Google translation seeding. [Aug 15, 2013]
- V3.01: Documentation changes only. [May 21, 2013]
- V3.00: Major upgrade with blog page translation as well as Google translate to seed plugin translation. [May 20, 2013]
- V2.23: Proper session initialization. [Mar 30, 2013]
- V2.22: Proper use of SESSION variables. [Feb 18, 2013]
- V2.21: Fixes in the plugin updater. [Oct 17, 2012]
- V2.20: Rolling out in-app version update. [Sep 30, 2012]
- V2.06: Taking care of some debug notices from WordPress debug mode. [Aug 28, 2012]
- V2.05: Minor changes to the admin page. [July 18, 2012]
- V2.04: Taking care of magic_quotes_gpc in PHP. [May 18, 2012]
- V2.02: Changing the php file search to recursive. [Mar 20, 2012]
- V2.01: Adding a new feature to create a new MO file (rather than just editing an existing one). [Mar 19, 2012]
- V2.00: Releasing a Lite and Pro version. [Mar 6, 2012]
- V1.01: Correcting a few minor bugs (a) Author email (of the plugin being translated was set to the author of this plugin. (b) The name of the plugin was set to Easy AdSense (Thanks, Sub!). (c) Some corrections are needed for escaping quotation marks and line breaks in locales other than English. Will include them in the next release. (Hard to test because my locale is en_US).
- V1.00: Initial release. [July 21, 2009]
Frequently Asked Questions
Looks good, but doesn't work!
Easy Translator is a fairly complicated program. If you find a bug or anything that doesn't work as expected, please do not keep it to youself. Please post it in the forum or email me. I really would like to make it work perfectly.
This plugin conflicts with other plugins. What to do now?
Easy Translator uses the PHP "super-global" variables (
$_SESSION) to hold various strings and settings between your visits so that your translation work is not accidentally erased. I hope to have implemented it safely. But as any developer will tell you, there is nothing safe about using globals. If you find anything amiss, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Please post it in the forum or contact me.
If you have a question or comment about the Pro version, please do not use the forum hosted at WordPress.org, but contact the plugin author using our support portal.
The PO files created generate errors when I run
msgfmt on them. What are these errors?
The plugin has a known issue with quotation marks within strings. Some of the quotations marks don't get escaped with a backslash. I think this issue is locale-specific, and don't know how to solve it. If you have any ideas, please let me know. The workaround is to edit the generated PO files with a text editor and go to the lines that give you errors in
msgfmt. You will most likely find some unescaped quotes that you should prepend a backslash to. It should then go through
msgfmt without error. Another known problem is that in some locales, the
\n character in the first few lines appear as
n -- again in a locale-specific way.
The Pro version is supposed to let me customize the translation widget colors. How?
Please go to Appearance -> Widgets and add/modify the translation widgets. You will see the color pickers there.
WP-PlusThis and other plugins can be installed and managed seamlessly using WP-Plus -- the next generation of WordPress, developed for the professional blogger who demand professional plugins and themes. If you are a professional plugin developer or a blogger (one who hopes to make a living out of blogging or blog-related developement), do check it out!
If you like my plugin efforts, please leave a comment using your Facebook login below.
If you need help, please use our support portal instead.